For Admission, please do the following:
- Apply to Northwest Florida State College and the BS in Teacher Education Program:
- Request transcripts from all colleges you have attended and your high school be sent to Northwest Florida State College - Office of Admission.
To be admitted to the NWFSC teacher education degree programs,
students must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree from a regionally accredited college
or university or at least 60 semester hours of postsecondary education from a regionally
accredited college or university.
- Completion of all General Education Requirements and lower-division state-mandated
common prerequisites, including the three Common Education prerequisites: EDF 1005,
EDF 2085 and EME 2040.
Middle Grades General Science and Middle Grades Mathematics programs have specific prerequisite requirements which are subject to change by legislative mandate. Please contact an advisor for current requirements.
A minimum grade of "C" is required in each of these prerequisite courses.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for the general
education component of undergraduate studies or completion of the requirements for
a baccalaureate degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0
scale from any college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association
or otherwise approved pursuant to State Board of Education rule.
- Completion of 6 semester hours of coursework with an international or diversity focus,
in addition to EDF 2085 - Introduction to Diversity for Educators.
- Passing scores on the General Knowledge Test of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE). Students are not admitted to the Teacher Education program until this requirement
- Completion of the standard Florida foreign language upper division admission requirement.
(If, at the time of admission, the student has not completed two years of the same
foreign language in high school or eight credits in college, the student will need
to complete eight credits of foreign language before completing the program.)
- Agreement to submit to fingerprinting and background checks by both the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Note: The outcome of the background check may impact the student's eligibility to meet selected program requirements, including completion of the teaching internship and various field experiences.