All students requesting certification as a firefighter for employment must meet the following minimum qualifications criteria as specified in the Florida Statutes 633.34-633.35:
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent, of good moral character as determined by
the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training, and at least 18 years of age.
- Neither have been convicted of a felony nor a misdemeanor directly related to the
position of employment sought, nor have pled nolo contendere to any charge of a felony.
If an applicant has been convicted of a felony, such applicant must be in compliance
with S 112.011(2)(b). If an applicant has been convicted of a misdemeanor directly
related to the position of employment sought, such applicant shall be excluded from
employment for a period of 4 years after expiration of sentence. If the sentence is
suspended or adjudication is withheld in a felony change to misdemeanor directly related
to the position of employment sought and a period of probation is imposed, the applicant
must have been released from probation.
- Submit a fingerprint card to the division with a current processing fee. This will
be handled through the Fire College.
- Have a good moral character as determined by investigation under procedure established
- Be in good physical condition as determined by a medical examination given by a physician
or surgeon licensed to practice in the state pursuant to chapter 458, or an osteopathic
physician or surgeon licensed to practice in state pursuant to chapter 459. Such examination
may include, but need not be limited to, provisions of the National Fire Protection
Associations Standard 1582. A medical examination evidencing good physical condition
shall be submitted to the division on a form as provided by rule, before an individual
is eligible for admission into a firefighter training program as defined in S. 633.35.
- Successfully complete the Minimum Standards Training Course and the State Firefighter
- Must have completed and show proof of documentation the following: 1st Responder,
EMT or Paramedic.
- Be a nonuser of tobacco or tobacco products for at least 1 year immediately preceding application, as evidence by the sworn affidavit of the applicant.