- Current News
- News Archives
- Emerald Coast Autism Center finds new home at Northwest Florida State College
- Spring 2017 night welding orientation to be held
- New members of NWF State College Pacesetters selected
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Welcomes New Members
- NWF State College Chooses Stephenson as New President
- Group Advising Sessions Prepare New Students for Spring
- NWF State College Honors Students Earning Teacher Education Bachelor's Degrees
- NWF Welding Students Gain Industry Experience With Visiting Companies
- NWF State College Event Connects Students to Local Employers
- Northwest Florida State College Radiography Program Will Host Info Session
- NWF State College Foundation Provides Scholarship Opportunities to Students
Adults Needed to Tutor Youth - Application Deadline Extended
The AmeriCorps program at Okaloosa-Walton College is seeking committed adults to tutor youth who have limited English and reading skills. Fluency in Spanish or another foreign language is beneficial but not required. AmeriCorps members serve in Okaloosa and Walton County elementary, middle, and high schools beginning August 15 and receive a taxable living allowance and an educational voucher in return for their year of service. Applications must be received by July 7. Applicants must be at least 17 years of age and have a high school diploma, GED or higher education. Selected members must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or a lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
Full time AmeriCorps members commit to 1,700 hours and receive a taxable living allowance of $950 per month and an education voucher of up to $4,725. Half-time AmeriCorps members commit to tutor 900 hours, receive a $603 per month allowance and an education award of $2,363. OWC is seeking 24 full time and 12 half time AmeriCorps members. AmeriCorps members also participate in community service projects and help recruit community volunteers to assist students and the community. Special benefits may include student loan deferment, free health insurance and childcare if qualified. AmeriCorps information packets & applications are available at all six OWC campuses. For more information, contact the AmeriCorps office at 729-6037 or 729-4946 on the OWC Niceville campus or 892-8100 for the OWC Chautauqua Center in DeFuniak Springs.