- Current News
- News Archives
- Emerald Coast Autism Center finds new home at Northwest Florida State College
- Spring 2017 night welding orientation to be held
- New members of NWF State College Pacesetters selected
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Welcomes New Members
- NWF State College Chooses Stephenson as New President
- Group Advising Sessions Prepare New Students for Spring
- NWF State College Honors Students Earning Teacher Education Bachelor's Degrees
- NWF Welding Students Gain Industry Experience With Visiting Companies
- NWF State College Event Connects Students to Local Employers
- Northwest Florida State College Radiography Program Will Host Info Session
- NWF State College Foundation Provides Scholarship Opportunities to Students
Student Musicians Wanted, Auditions Open for Youth Orchestra
Liz Aylor conducting the NFSYO in concert.
The Fine & Performing Arts Division of Northwest Florida State College (formerly Okaloosa-Walton College) will hold auditions for the Northwest Florida Symphony Youth Orchestra during the month of August. The youth orchestra is a full orchestra of more than 50 talented young musicians ranging in age from 6th to 12th grade. The group is under the direction of Liz Aylor who is also the director of the Symphonic Strings program of Okaloosa County and a former member of the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra (NFSO) and the Pensacola Symphony.
Audition times will be assigned after all applications are received by the deadline of August 15th. Auditions for interested advanced String students will be held Sunday, August 17th and 24th. Woodwinds, Brass and Percussionists will audition on August 31. All tryouts take place in the Orchestra room of the Music Wing at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center at on the NWF State College Niceville campus. Weekly rehearsals begin on Sunday, September 7th from 2:30-4:30 pm.
Application forms and complete audition packets are available for download from www.imastringteacher.com. Those selected for the youth orchestra pay membership fees of $75-$125 per semester. Some scholarships are available.
The NFSYO performs annual Fall and Spring concerts at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center and at other local events including performing with the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra for fifth grade students of Okaloosa and Walton County schools.
The NFSYO is sponsored by NWF State College, the Northwest Florida Symphony Guild and supported by individual contributions. For more information, call 729-5382 or 651-4308.