- Current News
- News Archives
- Emerald Coast Autism Center finds new home at Northwest Florida State College
- Spring 2017 night welding orientation to be held
- New members of NWF State College Pacesetters selected
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Welcomes New Members
- NWF State College Chooses Stephenson as New President
- Group Advising Sessions Prepare New Students for Spring
- NWF State College Honors Students Earning Teacher Education Bachelor's Degrees
- NWF Welding Students Gain Industry Experience With Visiting Companies
- NWF State College Event Connects Students to Local Employers
- Northwest Florida State College Radiography Program Will Host Info Session
- NWF State College Foundation Provides Scholarship Opportunities to Students
Florida Music Student of the Month
Northwest Florida State College student Donovan Black of Niceville was recently recognized as a Music Student of the Month by the Association of Florida Colleges (AFC) from among students at the 28 state and community colleges. The designation is based on academic excellence, leadership and achievement in music.
Donovan will appear a lead roles of "Galahad" and "Black Knight" in the upcoming July 16 to 19, 2014 NWFSC summer musical production of "Spamalot" and also appeared in lead roles in past college productions "Les Miserables" (Feuilly) and "The Wiz" (Tinman). A member of the college's Madrigals and Soundsations vocal ensembles, he has also performed as a bass soloist in Handel's Messiah with Northwest Florida Symphony Chorale and in Beethoven's Choral fantasy with the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra.
Dr. Jeremy Ribando, Chair of the Humanities, Fine & Performing Arts Division, noted in his nomination that, "Donovan Black has been an invaluable part of our academic program since he began his studies . . . He is a natural leader and the captain of one of our performing ensembles. He possesses a rare mix of natural authority coupled with humility which inspires other students to respond to him."
Among his community work, Donovan served as Music Director for the Stage Crafters (Community Theater Company) production of "Miracle in Bedford Falls" in 2013. He is also a leader in his local church as a soloist and outreach volunteer.