- Current News
- News Archives
- Emerald Coast Autism Center finds new home at Northwest Florida State College
- Spring 2017 night welding orientation to be held
- New members of NWF State College Pacesetters selected
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Welcomes New Members
- NWF State College Chooses Stephenson as New President
- Group Advising Sessions Prepare New Students for Spring
Military Order of the Purple Heart Achievement Award presented to Josie Duff
Bachelor of Science in Nursing graduate Josie Duff was presented with the Military Order of the Purple Heart Achievement Award during a ceremony on Aug. 11 honoring graduates of Northwest Florida State College’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
This award is presented to a graduating member of the RN to BSN program who has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and also has demonstrated a commitment to improving the health of military members, veterans and their families and displayed an exceptional knowledge of military healthcare issues.
Nominees are judged on the following criteria:
• Demonstrates a spirit of compassion and caring for America’s service members, veterans and families.
• Understands the etiology and treatments for post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, depression, and other clinical issues specific to military service.
• Works within the community to strengthen the supportive network of resources dedicated to improving the health of service members, veterans and their families.
According to the nomination information submitted for Duff, she "serves as an exemplar for nurses everywhere as she has maintained a 4.0 GPA in her associate and baccalaureate degree programs. Although she would be an outstanding accession for any healthcare facility or graduate program, her motivation for completing the rigorous nursing program is so that she can serve our nation’s military as an Air Force nurse. Josie has a long history of service to our country and has already had a successful career as a flight engineer, weapons controller, and maintainer of the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile system.
"Despite Josie’s distinguished military career, she felt called to nursing and has excelled academically and professionally. Working at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, she has already assumed care for many veteran patients, and her military background has allowed her to establish a true rapport with these patients in an environment of mutual trust and respect."