- Current News
- News Archives
- Emerald Coast Autism Center finds new home at Northwest Florida State College
- Spring 2017 night welding orientation to be held
- New members of NWF State College Pacesetters selected
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Welcomes New Members
- NWF State College Chooses Stephenson as New President
- Group Advising Sessions Prepare New Students for Spring
Monthly science seminar focuses on the 'geological puzzle' of Oregon
Dr. Mark Horrell, professor of earth science at Northwest Florida State College, will be the featured speaker at the next Science Seminar Series presentation on Friday, Feb. 19, from 11 a.m. to noon. Horrell's topic is "Assembling Oregon: Putting Together the Pieces of a Big Geological Puzzle."
In summer 2015, Dr. Horrell spent 10 days traveling throughout Oregon to document and unravel the complex geologic history of his home state. The land we know as Oregon didn't even exist until relatively recently in the geologic record of North America. So where did Oregon come from? This lecture will explore the plate tectonic processes that assembled this land of rugged coastlines, soaring volcanoes and breathtaking waterfalls.
The seminar -- which is free and open to the public -- takes place in the Robert E. Greene Jr. Science Building (Building 350), Room 110, on the Niceville Campus.