- Current News
- News Archives
- Emerald Coast Autism Center finds new home at Northwest Florida State College
- Spring 2017 night welding orientation to be held
- New members of NWF State College Pacesetters selected
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Welcomes New Members
- NWF State College Chooses Stephenson as New President
- Group Advising Sessions Prepare New Students for Spring
- NWF State College Honors Students Earning Teacher Education Bachelor's Degrees
- NWF Welding Students Gain Industry Experience With Visiting Companies
- NWF State College Event Connects Students to Local Employers
- Northwest Florida State College Radiography Program Will Host Info Session
- NWF State College Foundation Provides Scholarship Opportunities to Students
- Northwest Florida State College seeks noteworthy alumni
Three NWF students medal at national competition
All three Northwest Florida State College students who traveled to Kansas City, Mo., to compete in the SkillsUSA Championships for the nation's top career and technical education students returned home with medals.
Beckie Gestring of Valparaiso earned the national silver medal in dental assisting. Grace Wells of Freeport won the national silver medal in early childhood education. Lori Jackson of Florala, Ala., took the national bronze medal in computer programming.
Gestring, Jackson and Wells were all gold medalists in the Florida state level competition held in April. As state gold medal winners, they were eligible to represent Florida in the national competition in Kansas City held June 25-26.
The SkillsUSA Championships is the showcase for the best career and technical students in the nation. Contests begin locally and continue through the state and national levels. This year's SkillsUSA Championships featured more than 6,000 state contest winners competing hands-on in 99 different trade, technical and leadership fields. In the annual competition, students work against the clock and each other, proving their expertise in various occupations. Contests are run with the help of industry, trade associations and labor organizations, and test competencies are set by industry.
Photo Caption: Beckie Gestring of Valparaiso (left) earned the national silver medal in dental assisting. Grace Wells of Freeport (center) won the national silver medal in early childhood education. Lori Jackson of Florala, Ala., (right) took the national bronze medal in computer programming.