- NWFSC News 2013
- NWFSC News 2012
- NWFSC News 2011
- NWFSC News 2010
- NWFSC News 2009
- NWFSC News 2008
- NWFSC News 2007
- NWFSC News 2006
- NWFSC News 2005
- NWFSC News 2004
- NWFSC News 2003
- NWFSC News 2002
- NWFSC News 2001
- Spirit of '45 Day Express to Make Stop
- Dental Assisting Graduates Honored
- Paramedic Graduates Honored
- NWF State College to Host Annual College Night
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Graduates Honored
- Parent Information Meetings on Dual Enrollment
- Students Named to President's List and Dean's List for Summer 2014
- Integrated Career and Technical Education Initiative Launched
- Huckabee Event to Benefit College's Music Programs
- NWF State College again recognized as Military Friendly School
- NWF State College Saddened by the Loss of Coach Patrick Harrington
- Celebration of Life set for Coach Patrick Harrington
- Tamela McCorvey Named Acting Head Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- Tamela McCorvey Named Acting Head Women's Basketball Coach
- Ribando Compositions Performed in Virginia, New York City
- Free IT Pro Camp Scheduled for Nov. 22
- SGA Reflects Student Involvement at 'All-Time High'
NWF State College Certified as Firefighter Training Center
The Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training has approved Northwest Florida State College as a certified Firefighter Training Center. The college has offered continuing education and training to local fire agencies for the past several years for individuals who are already firefighters. The new certification allows NWFSC to offer the Firefighter Minimum Standards course for the Firefighting Basic vocational certificate for those who wish to begin training in the field of firefighting. The program is a requirement for persons wanting to be certified in the state of Florida as firefighters.
The college received the certification September 15 and immediately began the first class of 20 vocational credit students on September 16. The process of becoming certified as a Firefighter Training Center began with the construction of a fire training burn tower at the Niceville campus in 2008 and the college had a waiting list of students who were ready to begin the 15-credit Firefighting Basic program as soon as the state certification was approved.
Entry into the Firefighting Certificate programs requires that applicants meet the standards established by the Florida Division of State Fire Marshall, Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. For information on upcoming classes please contact the NWFSC Public Safety Division at 850-729-4924.
Brian Shonk, Dean of Science, Mathematics, Health & Safety at NWF State College Dean noted that the new program would not have been possible without the support of the local fire service community which donated equipment, helped in the planning process and more to make the program expansion a reality.