- NWFSC News 2013
- NWFSC News 2012
- NWFSC News 2011
- NWFSC News 2010
- NWFSC News 2009
- NWFSC News 2008
- NWFSC News 2007
- NWFSC News 2006
- NWFSC News 2005
- NWFSC News 2004
- NWFSC News 2003
- NWFSC News 2002
- NWFSC News 2001
- Spirit of '45 Day Express to Make Stop
- Dental Assisting Graduates Honored
- Paramedic Graduates Honored
- NWF State College to Host Annual College Night
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Graduates Honored
- Parent Information Meetings on Dual Enrollment
- Students Named to President's List and Dean's List for Summer 2014
- Integrated Career and Technical Education Initiative Launched
- Huckabee Event to Benefit College's Music Programs
- NWF State College again recognized as Military Friendly School
- NWF State College Saddened by the Loss of Coach Patrick Harrington
- Celebration of Life set for Coach Patrick Harrington
- Tamela McCorvey Named Acting Head Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- Tamela McCorvey Named Acting Head Women's Basketball Coach
- Ribando Compositions Performed in Virginia, New York City
- Free IT Pro Camp Scheduled for Nov. 22
- SGA Reflects Student Involvement at 'All-Time High'
- NWF State College AmeriCorps Program Named Program of the Year
- Rick Flores Classic returns to The Arena
- NWF State College hosts IACP Leading by Legacy training course
- Forensics Team a Finalist in Parliamentary Debate at Star Invitational
NWFSC Collegiate High Top in Florida Again
The Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College is the top scoring "A" high school in the state of Florida for the third time in the school's eleven (11) year history. The innovative charter school of the Okaloosa County School District received 1511 of 1600 possible points to place first in the state among 410 the high schools graded by the Florida Department of Education. The Collegiate High at NWFSC has consistently scored in the top one-half of one percent in the Florida Accountability System, previously earning recognition as the top scoring high school in the state in 2009-10 and also in 2002-03.
"Obviously, we're thrilled that the fine work of our students and teachers is so evident by our top placement again," noted Anthony Boyer, Principal of the Collegiate High School. The Florida Department of Education calculates points based on multiple criteria relative to FCAT performance and whole school performance - including graduation rate, learning gains, postsecondary readiness in reading and math and at-risk student graduation rate are all part of the annual grade. Boyer noted that application for admission to the school is in progress for the 2012-13 academic year. The school will hold information sessions for prospective new students January 9 at 5:30 on the Niceville campus, Building K, community gallery and January 12 at 5:30 pm at the Crestview Public library.
The Collegiate High has also previously received recognition as a US Department of Education Blue Ribbon School in 2006. Boyer noted that reading is especially emphasized at the school with a "culture of reading" that integrates reading in unique ways such as a Guest Reader program, national level visiting authors, and more.
The school was originally chartered in 2000 with an enrollment of 125 students and has had over 782 graduates in the eleven years since it opened. The current enrollment is 285 students in the 10th, 11th and 12th grades.
At Collegiate, every student has the opportunity to earn their two-year Associate of Arts college degree simultaneously with their high school diploma. Boyer cited the school’s rigorous academic atmosphere and small environment, which allows for personalized attention at all levels, as the factors largely responsible for the school's successes.
Boyer explained that the Collegiate High is neither a magnet nor a restricted admissions school and is open to all public, private and home schooled students. "Students who are admitted with a pre-collegiate designation are provided with extra support, including tutoring and targeted classes, so that they can rapidly progress to collegiate status," said Boyer.
The Collegiate High School will hold the priority application period for Fall 2012-13 admission in February 2012. For information see the school's website at www.nwfcollegiatehigh.org or contact the school at (850) 729-4949. ##