- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
Dental Assisting student earns ADA Foundation scholarship
July 11, 2016
Abigail Gibson, a soon-to-be graduate of the Dental Assisting program at Northwest Florida State College, has been awarded a 2016 Allied Dental Student Scholarship by the American Dental Association Foundation.
Gibson is one of only 10 dental assisting students in the nation to receive the merit-based scholarship this year, and she also is the first NWF State College student to ever earn the scholarship.
“I was really surprised but happy,” she said about being selected. “I’m excited.”
ADA Foundation Allied Dental Scholarships are offered annually to help dental assisting, dental hygiene, and dental laboratory technology students defray a part of their professional educational expenses. The Foundation accepts one application from each school for each accredited program offered by that school.
Gibson, a military spouse who lives on Eglin Air Force Base, is a veteran herself, having served in the Air Force for four years at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota.
After working for a time in massage, she was ready for a new challenge. In considering various healthcare fields to enter, she settled on dental assisting and said she has enjoyed her time in NWF State College’s program.
“I really like it,” she said. “I’m glad I made the decision.”
Gibson will graduate from the program in August and is hoping to find a position in a general dentistry office in the local area.
The NWF Dental Assisting program is a competitive-admission, three-semester program that provides students extensive clinical experiences. The program accepts a limited number of applicants each calendar year. For information, call 850-729-6444 or see the program’s website.