- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
Benji Bell Named Men's Basketball Player of the Year; DeMeo Top Coach
Northwest Florida State College's Benji Bell has been named the NJCAA Region 8/FCSAA Men's Basketball Player of the Year. In addition, Bell, a sophomore from Gainesville, Fla., was named Most Valuable Player of the NJCAA Region 8/FCSAA state basketball tournament, leading the Raiders to the championship and the No. 2 seed in the NJCAA men's national tournament.
Also honored was Raiders men's basketball coach Steve DeMeo, who was named NJCAA Region 8/FCSAA Men's Basketball Coach of the Year. DeMeo is in his second year at the helm.
Bell is averaging 17 points per game on 50 percent shooting, including 47 percent from the three-point line. He also leads the Raiders in assists and steals per game. "He's probably the hardest worker we've had the last two years," DeMeo said of Bell. "To see him mature the way he has, it's great to see him get the recognition he deserves."
The Raiders, 29-2, have a bye in the first round of the national tournament and will play their first game on March 18 against the San Jacinto-Columbia State winner.
The Lady Raiders, 26-4, also are headed to the NJCAA women's tournament as the No. 9 seed after finishing runner-up in the NJCAA Region 8/FCSAA state tournament and earning an at-large bid to the national tourney. They play their first game on March 16 against Murray State.
For more information on Raiders Athletics, visit www.nwfraiders.com.