- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
- New Pacesetters selected at Northwest Florida State College
- Student nurses help children at diabetes camp
- New student ambassadors chosen at Northwest Florida State College
- CBA’s Alison McDowell celebrated as a local hero
- McGill co-authors book on policing's impact on those in uniform
- Collin Zeigler selected as a Chancellor's Student of the Month
- Pickler earns first at Gulf Coast Steinway Society Awards Music Festival
- Student Government Association leaders installed for 2015-16
- Ribando's composition to be performed by Virginia orchestra
- Two NWF State College students named Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholars
- Smith recognized as top welding instructor in region
- Foundation scholarship propels Cadey Moody toward bachelor’s degree
- Collegiate High's Sarah Pabst signs to golf for Crimson Tide
- SGA attends statewide legislative and leadership conference in Miami
- Central Gulf Industrial Alliance endorses NWF State College welding program
- New college police department now patrolling two campuses
- SGA members attend Florida College System Student Government Association conference
- Northwest Florida State College setting the pace for environmental excellence
- Winners named in 30th James and Christian LaRoche Poetry Contest
- Father and son share Raider championship bond
- Former Raider softball star earns national player of the week honors
- NWF State College Vice-President Emeritus, Dr. David Goetsch, Inducted into Florida Veterans Hall of Fame
- Dr. Devin Stephenson Selected for SACSCOC Board of Trustees
- Myers donates $1 million to the Northwest Florida State College Learning Resources Center and establishes College Scholarships
- Northwest Florida State College Foundation Announces Dale E. Peterson Hospitality Scholarship Endowment
- Collegiate High Instructor Named as High Impact Teacher
- NWF alumna Emily Hils continues on a path of success
- Collegiate High Student Cailey Ness selected as National Merit Finalist
- Collegiate High Student Nick Gestring will represent NWF in Washington D.C.
- NWF Jazz Band Earns Accolades and Will Perform Free Concert
- NWF alumni honored with Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award
- NWF State College: A great atmosphere for learning
- NWF alumnus continues history of great achievement
- NWF State College Graduate Takes a Step in the Right Direction
- A Father and Daughter's Journey Culminates at NWF Commencement
- For NWF Nursing Graduate, it Took a Village
- 2017 Leadership Okaloosa Graduates 41 Community Leaders
French Exchange Students Feel at Home at NWF State College
Pierre Guilet, Pierre Fonteneau, and Antoine Norrito-Liquiere may live an ocean away, but during their short time so far as students at Northwest Florida State College, they say that everyone has been so welcoming that it doesn't feel like they're very far from their homes in France.
"I feel like I've lived here for a long time," Guilet said.
Fonteneau said the three will be talking to each other in French and other students will overhear them and strike up a conversation.
"People are really nice here," Norrito-Liquiere added.
Guilet, 20, Fonteneau, 20, and Norrito-Liquiere, 21, are the first students to attend NWF State College under an agreement with the University of Nantes' University Technology Institute (IUT) at La Roche-sur-Yon. The memorandum of understanding was introduced and finalized by the now retired Dr. Cliff Herron. In March, Dr. Jeremy Ribando visited the university to rearticulate NWF State College's commitment to the exchange program and provide information to faculty and staff.
While at NWF State College, the three French students are studying in the Bachelor of Applied Science program in Management and Supervision. The trio say they have noticed differences between the academics at NWF State compared to their university back home.
Guilet said the instruction style at their school in France is more lecture-oriented, with teachers doing all of the talking and students just listening.
"Here it's more of a discussion between students and teachers, and I prefer this style," he said.
Norrito-Liquiere noted that here the students take fewer classes at a time, but they have more homework.
The French students also have noticed a wider variety in students' ages here, and say they like that some of their new classmates have been in the workplace and are able to bring real-world examples and perspectives to class discussions.
Some other observations the French students have had since arriving in Northwest Florida:
- Military -- Norrito-Liquiere said the strong military presence in this area is very noticeable and it's obvious how important the military is to this community.
- Weather -- "The weather is real nice here," Guilet said. "It's always summer here," Fonteneau added.
- Beach -- Have they been to the beach yet? Norrito-Liquiere: "Oh, yeah."
- Gas prices -- "Gas is cheaper here," Norrito-Liquiere noted.
- Food -- "Your seafood is very great," Fonteneau said. "There is a lot of fast food everywhere," Norrito-Liquiere said, adding that they are making sure to try it all while they are here.