- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
- New Pacesetters selected at Northwest Florida State College
- Student nurses help children at diabetes camp
- New student ambassadors chosen at Northwest Florida State College
- CBA’s Alison McDowell celebrated as a local hero
- McGill co-authors book on policing's impact on those in uniform
- Collin Zeigler selected as a Chancellor's Student of the Month
- Pickler earns first at Gulf Coast Steinway Society Awards Music Festival
- Student Government Association leaders installed for 2015-16
- Ribando's composition to be performed by Virginia orchestra
- Two NWF State College students named Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholars
- Smith recognized as top welding instructor in region
- Foundation scholarship propels Cadey Moody toward bachelor’s degree
- Collegiate High's Sarah Pabst signs to golf for Crimson Tide
- SGA attends statewide legislative and leadership conference in Miami
- Central Gulf Industrial Alliance endorses NWF State College welding program
- New college police department now patrolling two campuses
- SGA members attend Florida College System Student Government Association conference
- Northwest Florida State College setting the pace for environmental excellence
- Winners named in 30th James and Christian LaRoche Poetry Contest
- Father and son share Raider championship bond
- Former Raider softball star earns national player of the week honors
NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
Northwest Florida State College student Kirstin Carter of Fort Walton Beach is spending the winter months along the coast -- not her familiar Emerald Coast but across the country on the coast of southern Oregon.
Carter is among a select few students chosen for a research internship in support of a project being conducted by the University of Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology. The purpose of the research project is to study the effect of winter storms on the spawning of intertidal invertebrates.
Specifically, Carter and the other interns are sorting live zooplankton samples for newly spawned larvae and embryos and raising these larvae in the lab. A University of Oregon official described the work as "seven days a week for about three months with only a few days off -- intense in other words."
"It will be cool," said Carter, who graduated from Choctawhatchee High School in 2013. "I think I will learn a lot."
After she returns from Oregon and completes her Associate of Arts degree at NWF State College, Carter plans to major in marine biology at the University of West Florida.