- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
- New Pacesetters selected at Northwest Florida State College
- Student nurses help children at diabetes camp
- New student ambassadors chosen at Northwest Florida State College
- CBA’s Alison McDowell celebrated as a local hero
- McGill co-authors book on policing's impact on those in uniform
- Collin Zeigler selected as a Chancellor's Student of the Month
- Pickler earns first at Gulf Coast Steinway Society Awards Music Festival
- Student Government Association leaders installed for 2015-16
- Ribando's composition to be performed by Virginia orchestra
- Two NWF State College students named Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholars
- Smith recognized as top welding instructor in region
- Foundation scholarship propels Cadey Moody toward bachelor’s degree
- Collegiate High's Sarah Pabst signs to golf for Crimson Tide
- SGA attends statewide legislative and leadership conference in Miami
- Central Gulf Industrial Alliance endorses NWF State College welding program
- New college police department now patrolling two campuses
- SGA members attend Florida College System Student Government Association conference
- Northwest Florida State College setting the pace for environmental excellence
- Winners named in 30th James and Christian LaRoche Poetry Contest
- Father and son share Raider championship bond
- Former Raider softball star earns national player of the week honors
- NWF State College Vice-President Emeritus, Dr. David Goetsch, Inducted into Florida Veterans Hall of Fame
- Dr. Devin Stephenson Selected for SACSCOC Board of Trustees
Nursing program takes spring break outreach trip to Guatemala
May 2, 2016
For several years now, the nursing program at Northwest Florida State College has offered an opportunity for nursing students in the bachelor (RN to BSN) and associate degree programs to travel to Guatemala. The trip is educational for both students and faculty and allows students to contribute to a healthcare delivery system that is different than the one in the United States.
The RN to BSN nursing students provided health educational programs to underserved women and children. With the help of a translator, the participants received information focusing on prevention. Additionally, these undergraduate students complete a family assessment assignment, which is challenging when the home is a one- or two-bedroom metal structure and all communication goes through a translator.
All of the students were able to go to a public hospital as well as participate in an outpatient public health clinic. The system of healthcare delivery is dramatically different than the U.S. system, but a key takeaway from the trip was the dedication of nursing staff in the Guatemalan facilities to provide the best care to their patients with their existing resources.
The American Nurses’ Association’s theme for National Nurses’ Week (May 6-12) focuses on culturally congruent care, recognizing the importance of nurses to “reflect on understanding the values and beliefs” we bring to our interactions with patients. The NWF State College nursing students who participated in the outreach program in Guatemala truly have added to their value and belief system.
Those who went on the trip were nursing faculty members Dr. Marty Walker, Dr. Beth Norton, and Dr. Elizabeth Robison; RN to BSN students Anabell Nearhoff, Jessica Parkin, Haley Wester and Heather Wright; and associate degree students Courtney Barrow, Britney Bissereth, Lisa Cotter and Kathryn Swoboda.
TOP PHOTO: RN to BSN student Jessica Parkin provides dental health education to the children with the help of a translator, Damaris.
BOTTOM PHOTO: Associate-level students Lisa Cotter and Courtney Barrow and Professor of Nursing Dr. Elizabeth Robison (right) are shown with two of the clinic nurses in the immunization section of the public health clinic.