Associate in Science
This program is designed to provide the education and skill development to prepare students for entry-level employment or supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in the field. Students will learn the technical skills necessary to performs specifically delegated substantive legal work, for which a lawyer is responsible. In this program, students will be exposed to tort law, family law, real estate law, criminal law, probate and estate planning. In additional to theory, students will engage in practical applications and skills such as case reviews, conducting legal research, and preparing legal documents,
After successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the ethical and professional standards of the paralegal.
- Demonstrate ability to utilize legal research materials and apply knowledge in legal writing.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of tort law, constitutional law, and criminal law concepts and their application to factual situations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of all phases of trial practice and procedure.
- Demonstrate knowledge of real property law and its application to real property transactions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of estate planning and probate administration concepts and their application to probate procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental principles of the law of business organizations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of principles of contract law including the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and ability to perform, techniques and procedures utilized as part of case preparation and development.
- Demonstrate knowledge of law office management procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of family law, rules, and procedures.