Northwest Florida State College Logo

Settling Occasional Grievances

Formal Grievance/Appeal

Northwest Florida State College Recognizes that occasionally issues arise between members of the College community. If an informal approach doesn’t render a solution, then the following procedures must be utilized to notify the College of a formal grievance. See the College Catalog for more information about grievances, or read SS 3.00 in the Board of Trustee’s Policy Manual for more information about this policy.

If you are not satisfied with the resolution of the institution the student should visit the Florida College System Complaint Procedure Information webpage for information on how to file a complaint if it is believed that the complaint warrants additional investigation.

A student who has a formal grievance against an employee or department of the College who has attempted to satisfactorily resolve the matter informally (as outlined above) may file a formal grievance. Outlined below are the procedures for resolving a formal grievance. A formal grievance may be escalated to a higher step if an administrator was involved in prior adjudication.

  1. The student will submit their Step I Grievance through an electronic form available on the website.
  2. The student must explain, within 30 days of the last contact with the individual in the informal complaint, the circumstances pertaining to the situation.
  3. The student must identify the policies that have been violated or not properly followed.
  4. The student must identify what action would be a satisfactory resolution to the situation.

Grievance Form

Licensing Agency: Florida Department of Education

  • Florida Department of Education
  • Division of Colleges
  • 325 West Gaines St, Suite 1544
  • Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
  • (850) 245-0407

Florida DoE College Complaint Procedure Information

Out of State Distance Learning Complaint Process

Out-of-state Distance Education students who have completed the internal institutional grievance process and the applicable state grievance process may appeal non-instructional complaints to the FL-SARA PRDEC Council. For additional information on the complaint process, please visit the FL-SARA Complaint Process page.

Accrediting Agency: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
    1866 Southern Lane
    Decatur, GA 30033-4097
    (404) 679-4501

Complete the Commission’s Complaint Form and send two print copies to:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097

(To access the Commission’s complaint policy, procedures, and the Complaint Form, please see Complaint Procedures Against the Commission or Its Accredited Institutions.)

SACSCOC Complaint Policy

SACSCOC Accreditation Statement