Northwest Florida State College Logo

International Admissions

dNorthwest Florida State College offers two- and four-year degree options for international students seeking to come to the United States for study under an F-1 Student Visa. For a complete list of degree and program options, please visit our Admissions page.

Current Application Deadlines

January 1 (fall semester) and July 1 (spring semester)

All international applicants must complete the following steps in order to be considered for admission:

Complete the general application for admission

Please also complete and submit with your application this required Supplemental Information form.

Obtain official, third-party evaluations of all non-US transcripts.

Evaluation agency must be NACES approved. NWFSC recommends World Education Services. The following evaluation types are required:

High School: Credential evaluation only. Must be equivalent to US high school diploma or higher.

College: Course-by-course evaluation required for transfer articulation

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

NWFSC requires a minimum score of 61 on the Internet-Based Test (IBT) for admission (no exceptions).

TOEFL scores must be sent directly to NWFSC in a sealed envelope directly from the test administrator. Open documents and emailed scores cannot be accepted as official. Score reports may be sent to:

Northwest Florida State College
Student Success Navigation Department
100 College Boulevard East
Niceville, FL 32578
Attention: International Student Services

Request for Exemption

Students who are citizens of a country wherein English is an official or predominate language as recognized by the United States may request an exemption from this requirement by completing the   English Proficiency Exam Exemption form.

Proof of Financial Support

All international students must demonstrate access to financial resources sufficient to cover the entire cost of attendance for one full year (Fall and Spring semesters) as estimated by NWFSC.

Proof of finances may be submitted in the form of bank statements or on official bank letterhead signed by a bank official. All documents submitted for proof of finances must be dated within 12 months of the beginning of the semester for which the student has applied for admission.

All documents must be attached to a notarized, official  Affidavit of Support for International Student.

The estimated cost of attendance for the 2020 – 2021 academic year is as follows:

Fall and Spring – Associate’s Degree

  • Tuition and Fees: US $11,634
  • Room and Board: US $8,930
  • Books and Supplies: US $1,440
  • Transportation: US $2,386
  • Miscellaneous: $2,000
  • TOTAL: US $26,390

Fall and Spring — Bachelor’s Degree

  • Tuition and Fees: US $13,366
  • Room and Board: US $8,930
  • Books and Supplies: US $1,440
  • Transportation: US $2,386
  • Miscellaneous: $2,000
  • TOTAL: US $28,122

Proof of health insurance

Proof of health insurance is required for all international students. The insurance policy must contain a clause for the repatriation of remains and proof provided must include both the beginning and end dates of the policy.

Submit a copy of your valid passport.

Transfer Students Only

If you are currently attending another US college or university under the F-1 Student Visa program and wish to transfer to NWF State College, you must request a P/DSO from your current school complete the  International Student Transfer form and return to NWF State College.

What happens next?

NWFSC will supply you with two (2) copies of your Form I-20: one digital and one paper. The digital copy is unofficial but will provide you with the information you need to establish your new account in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Go to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System website for more information.

How to Apply for a Visa

There are several steps required to apply for a visa. Specific requirements and timelines may vary by US Embassy or Consulate. Please review the instructions on the embassy or consulate website.

Most students will complete the Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160), print the completed application, and bring the application along with a photo to the visa interview. Your photo must be in the required format set forth by the U.S. government.

Visas for new students may be issued up to 120 days in advance of the start date for a course of study. However, you will not be allowed to enter the US on your student visa more than 30 days prior to the start date.

Prepare for your Visa Interview

Gather and prepare the following documents before your interview:

  • Valid Passport for travel to the US (expiry date must be more than six months beyond your period of stay in the US)
  • Form DS-160
  • I-901 Payment Receipt
  • Your Photo
  • Your Form I-20

A consular officer will interview you to determine whether you are qualified to receive a student visa and inform you of approval, denial, or if more information is required.

When traveling to the US, you will be required to present your valid passport and Form I-20 at the port of entry (typically an airport). A US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer will then determine your ability to enter the US and, if granted, provide you with an admission stamp or Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record. All of these documents must be presented to a Designated School Official during your check-in process at NWFSC.

Frequently Asked Questions

International Admissions

Yes. You must meet in person with one of two designated school officials: Ms. Heather Dietzold, [email protected], or Mr. Carter Caywood, [email protected]. These individuals will review your course schedule, confirm with SEVIS your arrival on campus, and go over other important information regarding maintaining your status as an F1 Visa holder while in the US. Failure to report to one of these individuals prior to the start of classes will result in the termination of your I-20.

Typical processing time is 5 business days after we have received all required documents. Shipping times vary depending on country.

All F1 Visa holders are permitted to enter the US no sooner than 30 days prior to the start of classes for their first semester.

A Form I-20 is an official US Immigration document that will be provided to you after completion of all the admission requirements for international students. You may use the information contained on the digital copy to schedule your interview, but you will need the signed, paper copy of your I-20 before you go to a US Embassy or Consulate for your visa interview.

You are permitted to register for classes as soon as you receive notice of full admission via email. You are required to register only for courses that are part of your degree program. A Student Success Advisor will be available to assist you with this prior to your arrival.

Load More

Questions & More Information

For questions regarding the application and admission process, please call Student Success Navigation at 1+ (850) 502-2895 to speak with a Student Success Navigator or be transferred to a P/DSO.