Northwest Florida State College Logo

How to Make a Public Records Request

Florida Public Records Law

Chapter 119 of the Florida State Statutes is known as the Florida Public Records Act. It is the policy of the state of Florida that all state, county, and municipal records are open for personal inspection and copying by any person. Providing access to public records is a duty of each agency.

How to Make a Public Records Request

Any questions, complaints or requests for public records should be directed to the Office of General Counsel. The definition of “custodian of records” contained in F.S. §119.011(5) may include multiple employees throughout the college. Accordingly, the Office of General Counsel has been designated to receive and facilitate public records requests and any legal notices or inquiries regarding same for the convenience of the public.

Any civil action to enforce Florida’s public records laws must be in compliance with Section 119.12, Florida Statutes. Prior to filing any civil action to enforce Florida’s public records laws, a public records requestor must provide written notice identifying the public records request at issue, at least five (5) business days before filing the civil action. Public records should be requested via email and sent to:

Florida has a very broad public records law (F.S. 119). Under this law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact NWF State College by phone or in writing:

Northwest Florida State College
Office of General Counsel
Attn:  Public Records Request
100 College Blvd. East
Niceville, FL 32578
(850) 729-4972

Media requests should be directed to the office of Strategic Communications at (850) 729-5244 or

What do I do if I receive a public records request?

If you are an employee of NWF State College and you receive a request for public records, please forward the request immediately to the Office of the General Counsel or the appropriate custodian of records.