Health Services Management
Associate in Science
The Northwest Florida State College Associate in Science (A.S.) degree in Health Services Management allows students who already possess a diploma or certification in a medical-technical field to have a broader scope on which to build a career in customer service supervision, office management, certificate program director, or medical supply sales.
A certificate in Medical Coder/Biller is also offered and students who successfully complete this diploma program may be eligible to receive credits toward the A.S. degree in Health Services Management. It is strongly recommended that students in the A.S. program have a foundation in a medical technical field such as Dental Assisting, EMT (Emergency Medical Technician), Surgical Technology, or LPN (Licensed Practical Nursing) or similar field prior to entering this program. Students who do not have prior medical training may also benefit from a degree in this field for career opportunities in medical office management or medical customer service.
Students will learn how to supervise, coordinate, direct or design the delivery of health care in a lab, clinic, or hospital facility.
After successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the health care delivery system and health occupations
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and use interpersonal skills effectively.
- Demonstrate legal and ethical responsibilities.
- Recognize and practice safety and security procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information technology applications in healthcare.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of medical language, anatomy and physiology, and disease processes
- Demonstrate knowledge of materials and supplies needed to care in healthcare and how to obtain them in various healthcare settings
- Demonstrate leadership and administrative skills basic to management in any health care facility.
- Interpret federal, state and local laws as they apply to health care facilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of operational and organizational structures of health care facilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate human resource management in healthcare
- Identify and apply basic knowledge of departmental capital and operational budgets.
- Demonstrate knowledge of volume and growth, reimbursement systems and methodologies