Can I be employed or work while on an F-1 Visa?

Your F-1 student status permits you to work on campus at the college while you are enrolled in a full course of study. Your NWFSC I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for part-time on-campus employment at NWFSC only. Pre-approval from a DSO is not required for part-time on-campus employment. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit; maintaining status means that you are a full-time registered student (except for approved exceptions) in good academic standing with a valid I-20.

Definition of “On-Campus” Employment

  • Employment for NWFSC
    • Academic Support Services Tutor, Testing Center Staff Assistant, Raider Central Staff Assistant
  • Work performed in a campus location for a commercial firm providing direct services to students
    • Example: Barnes & Noble Bookstore in Building 410 across from Raider Life

Time Limits

  • Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during regular full-time semesters
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) between semesters
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during your annual vacation

Expiration of On-Campus Employment Eligibility

Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

  • When you graduate. It expires the last day of your final semester, even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
  • If you transfer to another school; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date.
  • If you violate your F-1 status.

It is your responsibility to research and understand your on-campus work eligibility. It is generally not the job of NWFSC staff outside of DSOs to thoroughly know the immigration regulations. It is possible you will be offered employment that you are not eligible to accept or for your employment eligibility to expire without your employer notifying you. Be sure to contact a DSO if you have any concerns or questions.

Share this article

See All News

Back to News Center