November 1, 2018
CLEP exams are a convenient way for students to demonstrate mastery of introductory college-level material in order to earn college credit. There are currently 33 exams to choose from. Please visit College Board’s Exams page for a current list of CLEP exams.
We recommend that students meet with their advisor prior to registering for a CLEP exam to ensure that this is an appropriate option as each institution has their own CLEP policy. Students who wish to retest for a CLEP exam can do so after 3 months.
How to register to take a CLEP exam:
- Go to collegeboard.org to register and purchase a ticket for the CLEP exam.
- Maintain a copy of your purchased CLEP ticket to bring with you on test day.
- Register and pay for an appointment to take the CLEP exam at NWF State College.
- Bring a valid government issued ID and the CLEP ticket with you on exam day.
Civic Literacy Competency
Beginning with students initially entering a Florida College System or State University System institution in the 2018-2019 academic school year and thereafter, each student must demonstrate competency in civic literacy by the time they graduate pursuant to s. 1007.25(4), Florida Statutes. Students have the option to demonstrate competency through successful completion of a civic literacy course or by achieving a passing score on an assessment.
Rule 6A-10.02413 of the State Board of Education defines civic literacy competency as follows:
(1) Successfully passing either POS 2041 American Government or AMH 2020 History of the United States since 1877.
(2) Achieving the standard score on one of the following assessments:
- AP Government and Politics: United States
- Standard Score: 3
- Offered at NWF: No
- AP United States History
- Standard Score: 4
- Offered at NWF: No
- CLEP: American Government
- Standard Score: 50
- Offered at NWF: Yes
For Active Duty Military
CLEP exams for active duty are funded through DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support). Active Duty Military are eligible to sit and take CLEP exams for free at our Hurlburt AFB testing location.
This is a free one-time opportunity to test per subject, with no sitting or administrative fee. If the tester does not pass on the first attempt, there is a 3-month wait period to retest at the regular price.