Northwest Florida State College


Accommodations Resource Center

Northwest Florida State College is committed to providing equal access to and equal opportunities for education to all students as guided by the Americans with Disabilities Act and other disability-related laws.

To make an appointment or learn more about our services, contact [email protected]. You can also visit our office in Building 410, Room 101 on Niceville’s campus.

Prospective Students

The requirements for admissions for students with disabilities are no different from any other person applying to NWF State College. The College does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to any of its programs or activities; therefore, the admission process is the same for all students. However, you should contact Accommodations Resource Center (ARC) prior to applying to find out what kind of documentation you will need to submit, what kind of accommodations are typically available, and how to become registered with ARC. Students who wish to receive accommodations must be registered with the ARC office. We recommend maintaining a folder with all of your disability-related information (such as your diagnostic reports, most recent IEP or 504 plan, etc.) to make the registration process easier.

You Have a Right to be Accommodated.

The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 state that qualified students with disabilities who attend college and universities may be entitled to reasonable accommodations.

Under these laws, a disability is defined as any physical or mental impairment which substantially limits a major life activity, specifically, learning.

Although the Northwest Florida State College provides accommodations for eligible students in the classroom, it does not provide the testing necessary to evaluate a disability for a student. It is the student’s responsibility to provide the appropriate documentation to the College and to request the accommodations. The following links provide guidance to students with disabilities, parents, and physicians or licensed professionals in meeting the student’s responsibility to demonstrate and/or document the nature of the disability and the educational limitation it imposes.

How to get Started

Disclosure of a disability is voluntary; however, to request accommodations, students must register with Accommodations Resource Center (ARC) and must make a formal request for accommodations each semester. If you are a currently enrolled student or someone entering as a transfer student with a documented disability, please follow these steps:

Testing Accommodations

Visit the Testing Center page for more information about requesting accommodations for your upcoming exam.

Register with ARC

Register with the center and schedule an intake appointment by calling (850) 729-6079, or emailing [email protected]. At the intake appointment, you will need to bring written documentation of your disability. The written documentation should be current, on letterhead, and be signed and dated by a qualified professional. Examples of qualified professionals include physicians, audiologists, psychologist, psychiatrists, or school psychologists.

The documentation should include:

Request Accommodations

Request Accommodations